Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Dr. Betty Siegal Tribute: President of #KennesawStateUniversity

 

Dr.  Betty Siegel

Today, I honor Betty Siegel, President Emerita of Kennesaw State University.

She knew my name, even though I was only a part-time instructor.   She was gracious and cordial. She would smile across the room at me at the Jolly Lodge.  She would walk up to me at events and chat. She treated me with respect and made me feel a welcome part of the university.  She even wrote me a personal letter thanking me for my commitment to diversity at KSU over 20 years ago.  I was happy to work at KSU for 12 years under her leadership. Kennesaw State was my happy place and my safe place.

 Kennesaw State has 5 new pillars standing at the entrance to the university. I would like to think that those pillars stand for something other than status and prestige.   I would like to think of them as foundations that Betty Siegel built.  I honor the pillars that Betty Siegel modeled and demonstrated with her leadership as President of Kennesaw State University.  She modeled respect, integrity, inclusion, appreciation, and equality. 

She co-authored a book titled Becoming an Invitational Leader, along with Dr. William Purdy.  This book served me well as a guide to lead my high school students, college students, adult corporate learners, and my colleagues in the Cobb County School District. She invited leaders “to step outside of themselves and observe their behavior more clearly, reevaluate their perceptions, and question how their actions and words become part and parcel of their larger version of the world….turning toward more joyful, thoughtful, and meaningful personal and professional lives.”

Once, she came to speak to a class I facilitated of Cobb County School District employees on the importance of being inclusive and invitational.  My regret is that I didn’t capture the moment in a photograph; however, her kindness and smile is etched in my memory as long as I live.  I hope that the Kennesaw State Community will continue to strive for the pillars of humanity that Betty Siegel established.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment